Lindheimer Plaza, named after Ferdinand Lindheimer the "Father of Texas Botany," was founded in 1928. The plaza features several trees including an aging Desert Willow. The old Desert Willow was listed by the Texas Registry of Big Trees in 1984 as the largest Desert Willow of record; a record it no longer holds.
In 2001, the City of New Braunfels celebrated Ferdinand Lindheimer's 200th Birthday. Lindheimer descendants came from throughout the United States to participate.
In early 2013, New Braunfels Garden Club member Mrs. Peggy Hoffman approached the New Braunfels Parks and Recreation Advisory Board regarding revitalization of Lindheimer Plaza. A partnership evolved and new stone benches were placed. In October, the City and the New Braunfels Garden Club held a ceremony to mark the revitalization efforts currently underway.
The New Braunfels Parks Foundation hosts the annual Wein and Saengerfest in Historic Downtown New Braunfels. All proceeds from the festival are used to enhance and improve downtown parks. Proceeds from the 2013 event were designated to pay for the instillation of irrigation at Lindheimer Plaza. The project was completed by Weigelt Enterprises, LLC in early 2014.